Palak Daal – Serve a Different Dish to Your Family Members
All of us love green vegetables. We have several different vegetables in different seasons. Palak is such one which is now available in all seasons. Palak is used in cooking varied dishes making amazing combinations of such edible things like daal (pulses), spinach, etc. Go through the required ingredients and serve your family members with a tasty & delicious dish.
- 185 g white urad daal – picked over and rinsed
- 6 cups of water or more if needed
- 1kg spinach – washed and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger – peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes – finely chopped
- 2 green chillis – finely chopped
- 4-5 garlic pods – peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- A pinch of asafetida (Hing)
- Salt to taste
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Combine the daal and water in a large pot over medium-high heat. Wait the mixture boils.
- When the mixture is boiling, add ginger, spinach, ¾ of green chillis and all the tomatoes. Reduce the heat and let it cook for 1-2 hours. Keep cooking till the lentils become soft. You can add more water during the cooking.
- After 1 ½ hours, stir the salt. Heat butter and add the cumin seeds & asafetida in a separate pan. Fry till the seeds begin to pop. Add red chilli powder & garlic and let it fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the butter mixture into the lentils and cook the same for 5-10 minutes.
- When the mixture is blended and the butter starts coming on sides, taste. Pour a dash of lemon juice and serve it to your family members.