Is high protein and low-carb diet useful or not in weight loss ? Find the truth.
Geri Halliwell, Calista Flockhart and Jennifer Aniston are the champions of high protein low carbohydrate diet. They claim that it’s done them wonders. Close on their heels are not only members of our own celebrity brigade, but also the guy or girl next-door, whose obsession with looking good has reached abnormal proportions. The controversial Atkins met as it’s otherwise known, has emerged as the coolest option given the quick fix offers.
“Large numbers have adopted the high protein low carb diet thinking that they will be able to lose weight faster.” says Shraddha Sheth, nutritionist. “But they simply end up abusing their body. It’s the latest fad diet to have hit town.” Agrees Rita Dhody “With the
syndrome of looking good teaching desperate levels, you have people going in for fad diets. But the problem is they don‘t realize there are severe pitfalls.” In many a cases. It‘s vegetarians who’ve developed phobias about not eating adequate their protein intake and go for a high protein diet.
With Atkins diet being aggressively marketed abroad with celebrities endorsements, an advertisement or an interview is enough to get one hooked. Otherwise, it’s through word-of-mouth.
Most people know nothing about the diet apart the fact that you loose weight. They either have some friend practicing it or have lead about it and the bulk are guys who are into muscle building.
The high protein low carb diet has been widely criticized all over for the risk it involves.
Though such diets only work for a short period, a large number of of gyms dietitian regularly recommend them to people. But an equal or more number of them also caution people about its harmful effects. “Long term consumption of high protein and low carbohydrate diet can lead to adverse results, with the body going into a state of ketosis, whereby the body burns fat and turns it into a source of fuel called ketones,” explains Dr Jagmeet Madan, nutritionist. “resulting in toxicity” Besides the body will lack fibre and antioxidant.
A diet too high in protein can also adversely affect your bone strength and place strain on your kidneys, causing light headache, nausea and bad breath.What many fail to realize is that it’s not the panacea for weight-loss. Once off the diet, they gain more. So take a call. A well balanced, rounded diet or a high protein low carbohydrate diet. The choice is yours.
Home remedies for weight loss
- Increase the quantity of fruits and vegetables and low calorie foods. Avoid intake of too much salt as it may be a factor for increasing body weight.
- Excess of milk products like cheese, butter etc. and non-vegetarian foods should be avoided.
- A chutney of green mint with some simple spices can be taken with meals. Mint tea also helps.
- Spices like dry ginger, cinnamon, black pepper etc are good for losing weight.
- Regular intake of carrot juice.
- Avoid rice and potato, which contain a let of carbohydrates. Among cereals wheat is good.
- Vegetables like bitter gourd (karela) and bitter variety of drumstick are useful in losing weight.
- Honey is an excellent home remedy for obesity. lt mobilizes the extra deposited fat in the body, allowing it to be utilized as energy for normal functions.