How to activate both sides of your brain
Michelangelo, a painter, said around 500 years ago, “A man paints with his brain, not with his hand.” It is true as the idea told by the painter has been taken seriously by today’s science. According to it, the human brain has two parts, the left and the right brain, and both of them execute different functions. One side of our brain is dominant. It means that both sides of our brain are not active. The right side of our brain controls our body’s left side. You are attentive, rational, analytical and objective when you use the logical or left side of your brain. It is the part that you use to process language, math, science, facts and strategies. You are emotional, subjective, creative, imaginative etc when you apply the right side of your brain.
You know your brain works on the ‘lose it or use it principle’ and it is linked to the muscle. It gets better when it is used more. So, it is clear that you need to be both logical and creative like a painter. And for this, you have to activate both sides of your brain. Here are a few tricks:
Left brain workouts
- Craft the right sentence structure. Perfect your spelling and grammar. Improve your process of writing and planning to stay sharp and enhance your analytical side.
- Do activities like anagrams, crosswords, Sudoku, etc. Play a game of chess and solve tough math problems. Solve the questions of aptitude and reasoning tests that are available on the Internet at free of cost.
- Organize data, make to-do lists, maintain a diary aid and chalk plans for the whole day are the activities that you can do for improving your left brain function.
- Learn a new language, skill or activity.
Right Brain Workouts
- Observe your desk space or train station for five minutes. Close your eyes and remember all the things you observed. It will improve your memory power.
- Doodling, memory games or word association can help you unlock your right brain and enhance your creativity. Start painting or sketching for enhancing your creativity or improving your right brain function.
- Start taking interest in an art of your choice; theatre, writing, painting etc.
- Start playing a musical instrument to boost your right brain.
- Play a game of your choice – badminton, tennis or table tennis.